| |

City’s Under 18s secured their spot in the second round of the F.A Youth Cup with a deserved victory at Scunthorpe United on Tuesday evening!

The Bantams overcame bitterly cold and foggy conditions to claim a convincing first round away win thanks to a opener from Joe Brennan and two second half strikes from Callum Chippendale.

City will now face Barnsley at the Coral Windows Stadium in the next round after the Tykes defeated Carlisle United at Brunton Park. This will be on Tuesday 11th November, at the Coral Windows Stadium- 7pm Kick Off.

Scunthorpe enjoyed the first sighter of the tie when midfielder Levi Sutton struck wide from outside the box with a low drive only a few minutes in.

In reply, City’s most threatening moment of the early stages saw Brennan firing past Patrick Weaver’s near post with angled drive after a clever lofted pass from Reece Webb-Foster has played his team-mate into space inside the box.

Webb-Foster was on the end of the Bantams’ next meaningful attack when he was found in the area by Chippendale but the striker couldn’t quite connect cleanly with the ball and the chance was gone.

With the fog still lingering around the ground, visibility for some of the handful of supporters was proving difficult at times.

Brennan could see exactly what he was doing twenty minutes in, however, as he slipped in behind Scunthorpe’s back line to latch onto a well-timed Chippendale pass before calmly slotting home past Weaver to give City the lead.

The Bantams looked good value for their advantage at this stage, with Scunthorpe only troubling City’s defence on limited occasions.

A driving run into the area from Scunthorpe’s Noel Burdett caused some alarm for City midway through the half but striker Jack Mawson could only stab an effort wide from the winger’s pass following heavy pressure from Chippendale.

City could have doubled their lead five minutes before the interval when Dylan Mottley-Henry used his pace to get in with a sight of goal after racing onto Brennan’s through ball.

Just as the speedy winger was about to pull the trigger though with only Weaver to beat, recovering home defender Jacob Hood produce a well-timed tackle to dispossess him of the ball.

From going close to extending their lead towards the end of the half, City suddenly found themselves pegged back in first half injury time when the hosts equalised via an inventive corner routine.

Scunthorpe left back Jack Dyche came short for a corner delivery taken by team-mate De’Andre Watkins and the left back proceeded to curl a delightful first time effort from the edge of the box past Elliott Barker at his near post.

There was still time in the half for City to nearly go back in front when a cross fell into Webb-Foster’s path inside the area but his drive for goal was deflected wide into the side-netting by Weaver’s near post.

With City looking to re-establish their lead after the restart, Sam Wright fired a looping half-volley from distance into Weaver’s arms and Brennan drove over the bar following a short free-kick routine just outside the box early into the second period.

At the other end, Reece Mosanya curled a free-kick over the bar from around 20 yards out just under ten minutes into the half.

Scunthorpe could have gone closer to troubling Barker’s goal just before the hour mark when Sutton’s forward pass gave Burdett a run at goal just outside the box. Rhys Jenkinson vitally made up the necessary ground, however, to get back and clear the ball off his toes for a corner.

The importance of Jenkinson’s timely intervention was amplified less than two minutes later when Chippendale struck to get the Bantams’ noses in front for the second time on the night.

After winning a loose ball just outside Scunthorpe’s penalty area, Chippendale played a neat one-two with Webb-Foster before driving into the area and confidently firing low past Weaver.

Almost unbelievably, the pair then combined in virtually the same fashion sixteen minutes later to put City firmly in control of the tie. Webb-Foster again was on hand with the assist, as the striker fed Chippendale into space inside the area and the midfielder finished once more with aplomb, drilling the ball into the bottom corner of Weaver’s goal with a purposeful strike.

With City looking to see out the tie, they brought on Sumaili Cissa and Kesi Omolokun for Mottley-Henry and Jenkinson respectively in the closing stages.

Scunthorpe nearly had a consolation goal back in added time at the end of the game when fine wing play from Watkins teed up Mawson deep inside City’s area but his two close range efforts were blocked by the legs of Barker.

1. Elliott Barker
2. Rhys Jenkinson
3. Ross Kershaw
4. James King
5. James Pollard
6. Daniel Devine
7. Dylan Mottley-Henry
8. Sam Wright
9. Reece Webb-Foster
10. Callum Chippendale
11. Joe Brennan

12. Chandler Hallwood
14. Kesi Omolokun for Jenkinson (90)
15. Sumaili Cissa for Mottley-Henry (85)
16. Jack Waters
17. Xander McBurnie

Similar Posts