| |

U18s Match Report: York City 0 – 1 Bradford City (Saturday 9th January 2016)

Last Saturday saw us travel over to York to play our first game since the Christmas break. With the floods affecting York’s training ground, the game was switched to St Johns University to play on their 4G Astroturf.

In the opening 20 minutes neither team could gain a stranglehold on the game, York looked to press high up the pitch which affected our passing  game. We had to defend well as they looked dangerous from set pieces . It wasn’t untill the 29th minute that we created our first clear cut chance after Niah Payne showed a good turn of pace down the right and his cross was deflected for a corner. From the resulting set piece, Xander McBurnie picked up the second ball and his shot was driven in to the side netting.

On 36 minutes a neatly worked corner by York saw a free shot from inside the box which went over the bar. On 44 minutes we should have taken the lead, Sumaili Cissa played in Reece Webb-Foster, who was playing his first game for 8 weeks. however his shot was somehow tipped over by the goalkeeper meaning the scores were level at half time.

The second period started much better and we started to pass the ball and have greater spells of possession. On 50 minutes we managed to open the scoring. George Sykes-Kenworthy’s goal kick was flicked on by Ellis Hudson, Sumaili Cissa timed his run to perfection and cooly put the ball in to the corner of the net. On 60 minutes we nearly doubled our advantage after Jack Lazenby’s cross was met by Akeel Francis,whose flick went just wide. (trialist from Huddersfield Town).

York looked to catch us on the break and carved out a few chances of their own and in the76th minute really should have equalised, after a tangle of legs saw Alex Laird concede a penalty. From the resulting spot kick George Kenworthy  dived acrobatically to his right and tipped the ball away to safety. In the final ten minutes York continued to push forward looking  for the equaliser. They had three consecutive corners that we managed to keep out. At the other end Danny Devine had a shot that was held and somehow a Kesi Omolokun header from inside the six yard box was tipped over the bar. The final whistle went meaning we kicked off the new year with a win.

Overall we were pleased to have had the game played and get the new year off to a winning start. Next week, we are away to Hartlepool United (10.30 am k/o at Maiden Castle, Co Durham DH1 3SE on 4G)

Similar Posts