| | |

Match Report: Bradford City U18’s 5 – 1 York City U18’s

After a free weekend on Saturday, we enjoyed a comfortable 5-1 win on Tuesday when we welcomed York City to Rawdon Meadows.

A positive start saw us go 1-0 up within the first two minutes.  A good team build up found Sumali Cissa who squared the ball to Rhys Jenkinson who found the bottom left corner.

The goal boosted our confidence, Luca Mellor’s long ball in the 4th minute found Webb-Foster but the ball was put out of reach by York’s goalkeeper. Although, the York defence were first to James Pollard’s 13th minute cross, his effort from the rebound went just wide of the post.

We regained possession from Danny Devine’s tackle in the 23rd minute. Reece Webb-Foster’s cross found Joe Brennan but his header was comfortably saved by the goalkeeper.

Minutes later Brennan’s effort gave us a 2-0 lead. He carried the ball from our half and fired home from outside the box.

The two-goal advantage allowed us to pass the ball comfortably however, the visitors didn’t completely sit back. York pulled a goal back on 30 minutes, when slack defending allowed an unmarked York player to head to his team mate who tapped the ball into the net.

We came close to increasing our lead just before the break when Sam Wright’s effort was saved by the goalkeeper and we went in at half time 2-1 up.

Our positive tempo continued in the second half. Zander McBurnie’s long range effort deflected behind for a corner and Luca Mellor’s back heel nearly went wide of the post on the hour mark.

Pollards free-kick minutes later was headed wide by McBurnie for a corner. We went 3-1 from the resulting corner where, Reece Webb-Foster managed to find the net.

From the restart we fought for possession and continued to positively play towards goal.  Although Hallwood did not have a busy afternoon, he stepped up when it was needed and brilliantly tipped York’s 65th minute cross behind for a corner.

James Pollard’s block prevented York from bringing a goal back in the 74th minute and minutes later, he switched boxes and made it 4-1.  A quick one-two from Pollard and Wright set him up to strike the ball into left corner.

The score line was sealed in the closing minutes when Joe Brennan’s long ball found substitute Callum Chippendale who chipped the keeper to make it 5-1.

Overall, it was a pleasing team performance and one that the three points and goals scored will prove important in the title race.

Next Saturday we welcome Notts County to Rawdon Meadows – 11am K/O

Watch Match Highlights below

Similar Posts